air bag

What Should I Do If I Was Injured by an Uninsured Motorist?

Basic auto insurance coverage is a legal requirement for all Illinois drivers. Effective January 1, 2015, all Illinois auto insurance policies must include minimum liability coverage of $25,000 for injury or death of one person and $50,000 for injury or death of two people.

Unfortunately, not all drivers obtain and maintain the minimum level of insurance coverage. In most auto accidents, the negligent driver’s insurance carrier will satisfy his or her legal obligations, but in the event that the negligent driver lacks adequate insurance coverage, matters can become complicated, confusing, and even more frustrating.

If you are injured in an auto accident by an uninsured motorist, you should:

  • Notify the police. In order to pursue a claim for compensation after an auto accident, you will need a police report. Additionally, in many states, drivers are legally obligated to remain at the scene of an accident until the police arrive. Even if the accident seems relatively minor, you should still notify the police in order to get proper documentation of the auto accident.
  • Get medical attention. Even if you show no visible signs of injury, you may want to seek medical attention because some injuries, such as whiplash and back injuries, are not immediately apparent. 
  • Notify your insurance carrier. Many auto insurance policies include uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage in the event that the policyholder is in an auto accident with an uninsured motorist. Assuming that your insurance policy does contain this provision, you will likely be able to obtain financial recovery through your own insurance carrier.
  • Seek legal assistance. Even though you may be entitled to some financial compensation from your own insurance company, in many cases, the amount of coverage provided under the policy is insufficient to cover injuries and damages. Moreover, the insurance company may take a formulaic approach to claim valuation, resulting in an undervalued claim. An auto accident lawyer can communicate with the insurance company and pursue any other legal action on your behalf to get you full and fair financial recovery.

Contact an Experienced Auto Accident Lawyer

Auto accidents are one of the most common types of personal injury accidents, and the Chicago auto accident lawyers at Cogan & Power, P.C. are dedicated to helping Chicago motorists obtain maximum financial recovery for their injuries and damages – even if the negligent motorist lacks adequate insurance coverage. To do so, we will conduct a complete accident investigation, communicate and negotiate with your insurance company, and file a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent motorist if appropriate.

If you were injured in an auto accident in or around Chicago, and the negligent motorist was uninsured or underinsured, contact our office at (312) 477-2500 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our Chicago auto accident lawyers.