Sara has spent the last fifteen years litigating and trying cases in personal injury, medical malpractice, construction injuries, and on behalf of injured railroad workers. Spending the first couple years of her career working for a defense firm gave Sara an opportunity to witness and learn firsthand the way that Defendant corporations and insurance companies strategize and make decisions. The transition to representing injured victims was an easy one. Sara has always been drawn to the underdog.
Growing up the daughter of an ironworker and a teacher in a small town, the value of hard work, loyalty, and justice was instilled early. Sara always knew she wanted to fight for those that were often outmatched in a system that favors large corporations.
Sara is humbled that clients invite her into their lives during their worst and most frightening days. Sara navigates them through the complex and difficult litigation process to ensure their voices are heard and they receive full compensation for their losses. Sharing this experience with her clients has resulted in close relationships that last well beyond the end of their legal representation.
Sara’s passion, drive, and skill have resulted in record verdicts and settlements for her clients. In 2018, the Chicago Law Bulletin featured a front-page article on a verdict Sara obtained for her client. Sara’s skills and achievements have been recognized by her peers as she was named one of Illinois’ Top 40 Lawyers under 40 in 2015, a Rising Star for the last eight consecutive years, and one of the Top 10 Female Lawyers under 40 in Illinois in 2020. She is often sought out to speak on various legal topics and to mentor young lawyers.
When Sara is not fighting for her clients she is giving back to the community through legal organizations and charitable outreach. She enjoys spending her free time with her husband, Tim, and their dynamic daughter, Samantha.
- Wisconsin State Bar, May 2006
- Illinois State Bar, November 2006
- United States Supreme Court 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 2020
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2017
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Iowa, 2019
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2020
- Law School
- Marquette University 2006
- CALI Award in Trial Advocacy
- Marquette University 2002
- Magna Cum Laude
Professional Associations & Membership
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois; Member, Mentor for Young Lawyers
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Governors, Chair of Women’s Caucus 22-23
- Attorney Information Exchange Group, Member
- Wisconsin State Bar Association, Member
- American Association of Justice
If you have been injured in a personal injury or medical malpractice accident, do not hesitate to contact the Chicago accident and injury law firm of Cogan & Power at (312) 477-2500 to schedule a free case consultation, so that we can help you begin the process of recovery as soon as possible.