Recognized and Respected Attorney Representing Victims of Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury
One of Chicago’s leading trial lawyers, Michael is a compassionate and aggressive advocate for victims of personal injury, medical malpractice, and wrongful death. Over the course of his career, he has secured multi-million-dollar verdicts and settlements totaling more than $220 million. Michael prides himself on taking a hands-on approach to every case, working personally with his clients throughout the litigation process, and getting to know them and their family members. Michael realizes that he often meets new clients at the most trying time in their lives, and he makes it his goal to ensure that their voices are heard—by him and by the courts—and that they are provided the compassionate care they need and deserve.
Michael’s commitment to victims’ rights is evident in his community involvement. As co-chair of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association’s medical negligence committee, Michael works with state legislators to preserve victims’ rights, fighting for legislation that protects the right to fair and reasonable compensation for victims of negligence. Michael also serves on the Board of Directors of Cornerstones, a not-for-profit organization that provides medical support to underserved communities. And to ensure that future attorneys develop the skills necessary to represent victims of medical malpractice and personal injury, Michael is an Adjunct Professor at University of Illinois John Marshall Law School.
Michael and his wife, Deb, have three adult children. Their daughter became a member of the Illinois bar in 2020, and their sons are in the medical and research fields. When not spending time with his family and five dogs, Michael can be found on the golf course or in the gym.
Below are some previous columns. “Cogan’s Corner” appears monthly in the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin.
Active Member of Legal Community
Mr. Cogan attended the University of Illinois where he obtained his college degree in 1978 and went on to attend the John Marshall Law School in Chicago where he received his J.D. in 1981. After law school, Mr. Cogan worked for the Office of the General Counsel at Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center. Since entering private practice in 1983, Mr. Cogan has concentrated his practice on the representation of victims of medical negligence and personal injury.
Mr. Cogan is active in numerous Bar Associations, including the Society of Trial Lawyers, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, American Association for Justice, and Illinois State Bar Association. He has been the featured speaker at several association meetings on subjects relating to medical malpractice and has written articles on the subject. As mentioned earlier, Mr. Cogan is currently serving on the Board of Governors of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association. This is an elected position that places him amongst the highest-profile and most successful trial lawyers in the state.
Extensive Legal Knowledge & Skill
Because of his considerable legal skill and knowledge in matters related to trial practice, medical malpractice, and personal injury, Michael Cogan is frequently invited to speak at professional conferences and events, including:
- Invited Panelist, Law Bulletin Annual Judges Symposium. 2012
- Invited Speaker on Voir Dire, Law Bulletin Jury Management Conference. 2010
- Invited Speaker, Law Bulletin Publishing Company Litigation Series, Arbitration and Mediation.
- Invited Speaker, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Education Fund, Medical Malpractice Seminar, Special Ethical Considerations in Handling Medical Malpractice Cases. 2005
- Invited Speaker, How Not to Get Sued, University of Illinois at Chicago Third-Year Resident Retreat.
- Invited Speaker, Chicagoland Healthcare Risk Management Society. 2004
- Invited Speaker, American Gastroenterological Association’s Yearly Meeting. 2000
- Invited Speaker, International Screening Guidelines for Colon Cancer, Crohns and Colitis Foundation of America, Innesbrook, Florida. 2000
- Legal Issues, St. Francis Hospital Grand Rounds. 1994, 1997, 2000
- Legal Issues, University of Chicago Hospitals Grand Rounds. 1998, 1999
- Invited Speaker, Issues in Medical Malpractice, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education. 2001
- Invited Speaker, Various Topics Relating to Medical Malpractice, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association. 1984
Mr. Cogan has been appointed “Adjunct Professor of Law” at the John Marshall Law School and taught Trial Advocacy in the spring of 2015.
Mr. Cogan is a proud member of the Million-Dollar Advocates Forum and is a well-respected member of the legal community, having received the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell, and having been inducted into the Network of Leading American Attorneys, and identified as one of the top 100 attorneys in Illinois by the Leading Lawyer Network. He was honored to be inducted into the prestigious Illinois Society of Trial Lawyers, an invitation-only organization of trial lawyers from both sides of the bar, as well as the American Trial Lawyers Association as one of the top 100 trial lawyers in the nation.
For 2018, Mr. Cogan was once again named to the Illinois Super Lawyers list, an honor reserved for those lawyers who exhibit excellence in practice. Only 5% of attorneys in Illinois receive this distinction.
Michael was recently featured in Leading Lawyers Magazine, in the article, “Michael Cogan; Calm in the Midst of Chaos.”
Professional Associations, Memberships & Pro Bono Activities
In addition to being a skilled Chicago trial attorney, Michael Cogan is also a dedicated member of the Chicago area community. He serves or has served with the following associations:
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Governors, 2013-Present
- ITLA Board of Governor’s, Medical Negligence Committee Co-Chair 2014-Present
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, Supporting Member, 2005-Present
- American Association for Justice
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Cornerstones Health, Inc., Board of Directors, 2011- Present
- The Knapp Burn Foundation, Member and Legal Counsel, 1992-1995
- The University of Chicago’s Gastrointestinal Research Foundation, President Emeritus
- Village of Glencoe Baseball Association, Commissioner
- Family Services of Glencoe, Benefactor
- United Way, Board of Directors
- Little League Baseball Coach, 1995-2000
- Glencoe Park District Basketball Coach 1995-2000
- National Moot Court Trial Competition, Judge, 1998
- National Criminal Trial Advocacy Competition, Judge, 1998
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, 1986-Present
Call our office at (312) 477-2500 or fill out our online contact form to speak to our team today.