Samantha N. LaFata is a successful trial lawyer who joined Cogan & Power, P.C. as a Partner in January 2023 after working at another Chicago plaintiffs’ personal injury law firm for three years. Prior to being recruited to represent victims and their families, Sam was a defense attorney specializing in medical malpractice for fourteen years representing hospitals, physicians, and nurses. Sam’s trial experience and knowledge of the inner workings of hospitals gives her an advantage in the courtroom.
Sam has a passion for the law and a desire to help others. This influences her personal life as well. Sam regularly lectures and mentors young attorneys. In addition to her legal service, Sam is committed to furthering animal rights. Sam volunteers with organizations that serve sheltered animals. Outside of work, Sam enjoys spending time with her daughter and her rescue dogs.
- The John Marshall Law School, Juris Doctor
- University College Dublin, European Union Certificate and Internship, Chief State Solicitor’s Office at the Office of the Attorney General, Dublin, Ireland
- Loyola University Chicago, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, cum laude
- “Litigating High Stakes Damages Cases,” Chicago Bar Association Presentation, June 23, 2022.
- “Effective Use of Written Discovery,” Chicago Bar Association Presentation, November 11, 2020.
- “Trial Tips,” Chicago Bar Association Presentation, Daley Center, September 19, 2019.
- “When Negligent Behavior May Become Criminal,” AdvocateAurora Health – Nursing Governance Board, Quarterly Meeting, May 2, 2019, Chicago, Illinois.
- “A Legal Discussion of the Recent Nursing Event in Tennessee – Nurse Criminally Indicted for Medication Error at Vanderbilt,” CHRMS Annual Meeting, April 26, 2019, Chicago, Illinois.
- “A Legal Discussion of the Recent Nursing Event in Tennessee – Nurse Criminally Indicted for Medication Error at Vanderbilt,” Advocate Health Care – Quarterly Claims & Risk Management Meeting, March 15, 2019, Downers Grove, Illinois.
- “Charting: The Great Legal Divide,” Advocate South Suburban Hospital, September 27, 2018, Hazel Crest, Illinois.
- “Petrillo issues in speaking with former employees and impact of the holding in Caldwell v. Advocate Condell Medical Center,” Chicago Healthcare Risk Management Society (CHRMS) Law Day, November 17, 2017, Chicago, Illinois.
- “Illinois Right to Breastfeed Act,” Advocate Christ Medical Center Leadership Conference, Advocate Christ Medical Center, Oak Lawn, Illinois, November 2017.
- “Verdict Set-Off Pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1205 & the impact of Miller v. Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center,” Chicago Healthcare Risk Management Society (CHRMS) Law Day, November 18, 2016, Chicago, Illinois.
- “Nursing Documentation and its Impact on Liability,” Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center, August 2012, Chicago, Illinois.
- “Wound Care Essentials,” Samantha N. LaFata & Sharon Baronoski, R.N., WOCN-NIA Community Education Program, May 2011, Willowbrook, Illinois.
- “Medicare Reporting and Set-Aside Requirements in Litigation,” In-house Seminar for Continuing Legal Education Credit, Lowis & Gellen, Chicago, Illinois, May 2011.
- “Preventing Medical Misadventures,” ISMIE Insurance Presentation, October 2011, Skokie, Illinois.
- “Using Your Law Firm as a Resource,” Chicago Healthcare Risk Management Society (CHRMS) Half Day Seminar, Oak Brook, Illinois, January 2011.
If you have been injured in a personal injury or medical malpractice accident, do not hesitate to contact the Chicago accident and injury law firm of Cogan & Power at (312) 477-2500 to schedule a free case consultation, so that we can help you begin the process of recovery as soon as possible.