Record Results. Aggressive Trial Lawyer. Compassionate.
A respected member of the Northern Illinois legal community, John has successfully represented victims of medical malpractice, wrongful death, serious personal injuries, and railroad injuries (FELA). John has recovered over $600 million in verdicts and settlements.
John is respected by his colleagues and opponents for his unmatched trial skills, intelligence, and shrewd negotiating. John stays several moves ahead of his opponents. These skills have led John to obtain record-setting verdicts and settlements including a recent 25-million-dollar settlement for an injured railroad worker. His counsel and mentoring are regularly sought out by fellow trial lawyers.
John has fostered lasting relationships with past and current clients. He prioritizes regular communication with his clients, keeping them informed of case developments, apprising them of litigation strategies, and forming friendships that endure long after a case has been resolved. With more than thirty years of experience, John has amassed an impressive list of multi-million-dollar verdicts and settlements but is most proud of his lengthy list of gratified clients.
Even with his busy litigation practice, John makes time to serve his community. John is a primary benefactor for the Lazarus House, an organization that provides transitional housing for people that experience homelessness. He sits on the board of the Tri-Cities Health Partnership, an organization providing free health and dental care to individuals in need. He also sits on the board of Catholic Charities.
John lives in St. Charles with his wife of 32 years, Lori, where they raised their two sons.
Notable Verdicts & Settlements
John Power has an admirable history of record-breaking achievements, regularly earning Cogan & Power a place in the annual Chicago Law Bulletin and Crain Chicago Business Top Settlements and Verdicts issue.
A few of his notable verdicts and settlements include:
- $51 million verdict for 23 year old paralyzed when thrown out of a bar
- $25.8 million settlement for an injured railroad worker.
- $16.3 million settlement for a two-year-old plaintiff who suffered cerebral palsy, seizures, and blindness after a skull surgery.
- $11.4 million settlement for a plaintiff who was rendered a quadriplegic and subsequently died as a result of a device failure during a cervical fusion.
- $11.175 million settlement for a minor plaintiff who suffered a brain injury as a result of an undiagnosed medical condition.
- $11.1 million settlement for a railroad worker who suffered a spinal injury in an auto accident.
- $9.74 million settlement for a plaintiff who was run over by a tractor-trailer and suffered multiple fractures to his pelvis, leg, and feet.
- $5.5 million settlement for adult children of man killed by police officer in high-speed collision
Bad Faith – Holding Insurance Companies Accountable
John has successfully prosecuted cases directly against insurance companies for failing to behave responsibly in handling claims and has collected settlements for clients which far exceed the insurance limits.
Three examples are as follows:
- $9.74 million settlement when the insurance limits were $6,000,000.
- $3.4 million when the limits of insurance were $2,000,000.
- $1,600,000 settlement when the limits of insurance were $20,000.00.
Nationally recognized by his peers and the legal profession, John Power has received the highest possible peer-review rating from Martindale-Hubbell, has been named one of the top 100 attorneys in Illinois by the Leading Lawyer Network. His considerable knowledge and experience handling high-profile and complex personal injury cases throughout Illinois have made him a sought-after speaker, and he has been an invited guest lecturer for trial advocacy classes at both Loyola University School of Law and Northwestern School of Law.
He was invited to join The Society of Trial Lawyers, an elite organization of the most experienced trial attorneys in the Chicagoland area. He also served on the Board of Directors of that organization between 2016 and 2018. He is currently serving on the Board of Governors of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association. This is an elected position that places him amongst the highest-profile and most successful trial lawyers in the state. He is also a member of the National organization AAJ, a very limited group of Plaintiffs’ attorneys who are involved in some of the most significant cases throughout the country.
John, along with his partner, George Brugess, received the Jury Verdict Excellence award in 2016, in recognition of their record verdict for an injured railroad worker.
To schedule a free consultation with John Power or another one of the skilled Chicago personal injury lawyers at Cogan & Power, P.C., contact our office at (312) 436-0731. If you cannot come to our offices in downtown Chicago, we will come to you. And because we take cases on a contingency basis, you will not pay any fee unless we get you compensation.