What to Do If Injured on Vacation

With Chicago schools out for the summer, many families will soon be traveling for summer vacation. While family vacation can be a time for memory-making, recreation, and relaxation, vacations do not necessarily provide a reprieve from accident and injury risks. In fact, accidents and injuries can happen on vacation just as they can happen at any other time, and data shows that 20 percent of people experience an accident, illness, or injury while on vacation.

Common vacation and travel injuries include:

If you are injured while on vacation, there are several things that you should do, including:

  • Get medical attention. Although you may be in an unfamiliar place, it is important to seek prompt medical attention to prevent the injury or illness from getting worse. Oftentimes people wait until they are back home to seek medical attention, which can result in an exacerbation of the injury or illness and it can also prevent an accurate documentation of what led to the injury or illness. It is not only important to seek prompt medical attention, but also to retain all medical records and receipts.
  • Report the accident. Do not wait to report the accident to the appropriate authority. For instance, if you were involved in a car accident, you should immediately contact the police and request a copy of the police report. If you were injured in a hotel or restaurant, notify management and file an incident report.
  • Take photos and get witness information. If possible, you should take photos of the accident scene and obtain the names and contact information of any witnesses or treating doctors. Any evidence that is gathered at the time of the accident can be helpful in supporting a legal claim.
  • Inform your insurance company of the accident, if necessary. Depending on the type of accident, you may need to notify your insurance company of the accident. For instance, if you were in an auto accident or a motorcycle accident while on vacation, you will need to inform your insurance company of the accident in a prompt manner. While you may need to promptly notify your insurance carrier of the accident, you should avoid giving any recorded statements or signing any legal documents without first talking to a lawyer.
  • Consult with an accident and injury lawyer. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you may have a legal claim against the negligent party. A personal injury lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and advocate on your behalf to get you maximum compensation.

Contact an Accident and Injury Lawyer

If you were injured while on vacationcontact the Chicago accident and injury lawyers at Cogan & Power, P.C. at (312) 477-2500 to receive a free case evaluation. We will listen to your situation, assess any possible legal claims, educate you on your legal rights, advise you on how to proceed, and advocate on your behalf for maximum financial recovery. If you cannot come to our offices in downtown Chicago, we will come to you. And because we take cases on a contingency basis, you will not pay any fee unless we get you compensation.