Car accidents range in severity, from relatively minor to fatal, and the injuries sustained in car accidents can also vary widely. The type and severity of car accident injuries depend on a number of factors, such as the cause of the car accident, the vehicles involved, the speed at which the vehicles were traveling, the road conditions, and whether seat belts were used.
The following are some of the more common types of car accident injuries:
- Whiplash and neck injuries. Because whiplash happens when the neck is thrust back and forth, it most often occurs in rear-end accidents, though it can occur in other car accidents as well. Because whiplash and other neck injuries are often slow to develop, it is important to see a doctor after a rear-end car accident even if you don’t show any immediate signs of injury.
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries. Traumatic brain injuries vary in terms of severity, but even seemingly mild head injuries – such as concussions – should not be taken lightly.
- Burn injuries. Some serious car accidents, such as car fires, can result in burn injuries that can be life-altering with permanent physical, emotional, and psychological harm. Burn injuries can also result in chronic pain conditions.
- Spinal injuries and back injuries. Spinal cord injuries are among some of the most serious and devastating injuries, carrying significant and lifelong effects. Because the spinal cord carries messages between the brain and the rest of the body, many spinal cord injuries result in permanent or temporary paralysis. Car accident injuries may also include back injuries that don’t impact the spine, such as disc injuries, sprains, and broken vertebrae.
- Lacerations and broken bones. Many car accidents result in broken bones – in many cases, leg fractures that are caused when the knees come in contact with the dashboard. Car accidents also can result in serious lacerations caused by broken glass and sharp parts of the vehicle.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer
If you were injured in a car accident, it is important to seek prompt medical attention. You should also consult with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. The Chicago auto accident attorneys at Cogan & Power, P.C. are dedicated to helping accident and injury victims, including the victims of car accidents and other motor vehicle accidents, obtain full and fair financial recovery.
As a result of our comprehensive legal representation, extensive litigation experience, and considerable accident and injury knowledge, we have obtained numerous substantial verdicts and settlements for our clients, including $6.8 million for a 24 year-old man who was killed on an Illinois expressway in a collision with a commercial motor vehicle. If you are unable to come to our offices, we will come to you.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, contact Cogan & Power, P.C. at (312) 436-0731 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our Chicago car accident lawyers.